Who can I talk to to get help with or ideas for teaching?
Instructional designers and technologists are available to consult about your instructional ideas and concerns.
For a comprehensive list, see: ATUS How to Get Help.
What kind of professional development does WWU offer those who teach?
As an institution that values academic excellence and includes in its Vision that Western "prepares and inspires individuals to explore widely, think critically, communicate clearly, and connect ideas creatively to address our most challenging needs, problems, and questions," the role of the professor is crucial--and it is equally essential that Western support faculty professional development. The key learning opportunities include the following.
Presentations, Workshops, and Webinars
These events are offered by instructional staff in the Academic Technology (ATUS) Learning Systems unit and the Center for Instructional Innovation, Western’s teaching and learning center. These two offices are interconnected and share staff who coordinate offerings each quarter.
- Learning: ATUS-CIIA Teaching, Learning, & Technology ProDev - details and access information (requires WWU login)
- ATUS Events & Professional Development - general information about offerings
Stipend-based Learning Opportunities
These supportive learning opportunities, over the course of several weeks, help faculty integrate new pedagogies and technologies into their courses while exploring instructional design, online and hybrid teaching and learning, open educational resources, and course development. With support from the Office of the Provost, representatives from the Center for Instructional Innovation & Assessment (CIIA), Academic Technology & User Services (ATUS), and Outreach & Continuing Education (OCE) provide stipends to each workshop participant.
- Learning: TLCo-op Workshops for Faculty - details and access to workshop descriptions
Self-paced Learning Opportunities
- ATUS-CIIA Teaching, Learning, & Technology ProDev - quarterly offerings and learning opportunities
- Canvas Foundations Canvas Orientation for Faculty
- See also: Canvas Instructor Guide
- Panopto - Getting Started
- See also: Panopto Support Documentation
- Zoom Video Conferencing at Western
- See also: Zoom Support Documentation
- Student Technology Center Online Workshops - extensive collection of self-paced learning modules
- Teaching & Learning Cooperative (TLCo-op) - strategies, tools, and practices for innovative teaching and learning
- Western Online Teaching & Learning Hub Online Best Practices
Training for all Employees
- Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance - offers training and facilitated conversations for required prevention, DEI, equal opportunity & affirmative action
- Counseling and Wellness Center - regular offerings and custom trainings available
- Human Resources Professional Development - Training - offers both self-directed and in-person learning opportunities for all employees
- Office of Equity - DEI training opportunities